[3.2.1] In the name of the holy and undivided Trinity. G. by the grace of God bishop of H<alberstadt>.
[3.2.2] Reason demands that from the office enjoined on us we strive to provide for our churches in their rights.
[3.2.3] Thus we make known to the whole community of the faithful, both of present as well as of future times, that the church in W.2 was subject to the the church of S. Paul like a daughter to a mother. But after the population had increased, one priest could not provide for the care of both <churches>. Therefore the citizens of the same village have granted half of one manor to the church of S. Paul, so that by making this recompensation their church would be emancipated from the right of the mother church. Everything seemed rational to us, with the provost and canons of S. Paul consenting and the archdeacon agreeing, we have granted that church freedom.
[3.2.4] Witnesses of this matter are: the canons of S. Paul etc.; C., B. canons of the cathedral church; free men H., G.; the ministerials in W.; the servant of lord <bishop> Gardolf.
[3.2.5] This was enacted in 1194 A.D., twelfth indiction, August 28, with pope Celestine III presidiing over the holy Roman church and Henry reigning as Roman emperor, in the first year of <our> ordination.
[3.2.6] So that this enactment may remain valid etc.
1 This charter is printed from V by F. WINTER "Aus einem Halberstädter Formelbuch des 12. Jhs." Zeitschrift der Harzverein 2.3 (1869) 190-195 at 194 and by G. SCHMIDT Urkundenbuch der Collegiat-Stifter S. Bonifacii und S. Pauli in Halberstadt (Halle 1881) 625 no. 10a.
2 Wehrstedt, a village in the eastern suburbs of Halberstadt.
© Steven M. Wight, Los Angeles 1998
Scrineum © Università di Pavia 1999